Sunday, April 27, 2008

Don't we all like new things? I remember when Howard and I bought our first car. It was new to us, but it was 1o years old. Our next "new" car was 15 years old. I have often wondered why it is that some old things are okay, but old clothes and old computers are so NOT okay. Could you imagine wearing the clothes you wore 15+ years ago? I know I would fit into mine, but not most people could say that (I always weighed a lot more than I do now). The same for computers. Our first computer was used and we loved it because it was better than not having one, except for when it over heated and shut down whether you wanted it to or not. New is so much nicer. I do like used houses though. The previous owners have usually fixed the flaws of the design and added things, like more storage or finished basements, which enhance the home. (Unless you buy one that was inhabited by a ninety year old Mormon wife and mother, then the wallpaper and vinyl flooring will need a very good update.) I love new things: new babies, new shoes, new paper notebooks, new shampoo, new perfume, new jewelry, new milk, you name it, new is cool.

Why all the new? It's spring. It is time to clean out the house and I was thinking about getting new sheets, new towels, new shower curtains, new clean smelling teenagers (just kidding). I just am trying to get the house to feel clean and look fresh again. After ten years, some of the old stuff just needs to be gotten rid of. It has helped to have me assisting others who have moved or who are moving, they let me know what they don't want and I make a mental note to go home and get rid of those same items in my house. Sister Meyers said, "When I asked my children if they wanted some of our stuff, they said 'No, why do you have that anyway?' I thought, 'I kept it for you guys.' Now I know they don't want it, it is gone." Makes sense.

No comments: