Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I was waiting for Howard to follow up on his end of the blog--taking pictures of the two brace-faced children. He has a really nice digital camera and I like the way he stages pictures. Alas, he hasn't been home when the children with braces have been. Lately, we are a very divided family. Ben would like it if we were more divided and he owned his own car. I can't wait until next year, when I have TWO teenage sons with driver's licenses. STRESS!

Mikaela has asked to be over scheduled this semester. We allowed her to and now we are suffering. We should have paid more attention in General Conference to the admonition to choose wisely. We thought that meant OTHER parents, not US! She is doing violin on Mondays, soccer practice and games on Wednesdays and Saturdays, gymnastics every other Tuesday and every Thursday, then eating and sleeping after homework is done. Thank goodness that soccer isn't an all summer deal here. Next time, one sporting event and violin only! Trying to fit it all in with the boys' schedules makes it interesting in the afternoons and evenings. I am really grateful that Howard isn't traveling out of the country as much. He has been the extra driver on several occasions.

Siovhan is set to graduate in August. She is doing an internship with channel 4, KTVX, in Salt Lake City this spring and summer. I hope she enjoys her profession of choice. It is interesting to me to find out how many people actually don't end up in the field that they graduated in. Howard graduated with a Chemistry degree, Masters in Business Finance, now is working in Business Systems.

Two of my brothers graduated in the sciences and humanities colleges and both work with programming and finance. A number of people that I have talked to recently have told me the same thing. They entered into the working world in their chosen profession, but as their jobs have progressed, they have changed their emphasis in their fields of work or totally learned other sides of the work that they have been involved in and end up doing that instead. Do you then end up going to college to learn that you can learn other things, like a dog learning new tricks?

Just me thinking philosophically....

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

My dad was a physics major and he ended up working with finances and investing and such. Go figure. And, by the way, just letting you know that Kim threatened me and now I have a blog :) burgercommunique.blogspot.com I love reading yours!