Saturday, July 19, 2008

Yesterday was a hot, steamy day. I could tell it was going to be like living in Missouri when I walked outside at 7:30 am and there was a haze to the morning sun and it was around 80 degrees and steamy, like a sauna. Around 3:00 it reached the 91 degree mark. At 5:30 I was driving home, with my fifteen year old son, Ben, in the car with me. We saw two young men on the side of the road, white shirts, ties, and what looked to be nametags. We have a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses who visit out area, and they have started wearing shirts and ties and nametags, so I wasn't sure at first who they might be. I saw one really fair haired young man and one brown haired. I said to Ben: "It isn't transfer time, we couldn't have gotten new Elders." (We had just lost both Elders two weeks ago, and didn't think that we would have new ones, plus it was Friday, transfers would have happened on a Thursday.) I slowed down a bit and waved at them, immediately I recognized Elder Angle. He looked distressed. I looked for a place to do a U-turn, but I had to drive a little way as I was on Rte. 140 (highway). When we got back to where they had been, we couldn't find them anywhere. I realized that they had probably gone into the Dairy Queen, as the only other businesses around were Dentist Offices, Salons, Sleep Study or residences. I got out of the van and found two very hot, drenched in sweat, tired Elders. I offered them a ride to their car, which was a mile away on a downtown street. They were on splits and had been tracting, unsuccessfully. I forget the other Elder's name, but he was from Santaquin and had been serving in the Amazon of Brazil, until he had some knee problems. They sent him home for rehabilitation and reassigned him to the Boston Mission, Portuguese speaking. Yes, we do have a lot of Portuguese and Brazilian families in our state. The Elders were so happy to be in an air conditioned car. They felt really silly about how they looked, but I was worried about heat stroke or exhaustion. It was so humid and hot!

Look at the difference in the three photos: two show the humid haze in the air, one shows the crisp, cool air of home.





Mikaela attended her last day of the school district's summer camp. She had so much fun. As I stated in a previous blog, they have been swimming every day, they have gone bowling, they had a tumble bus (which is a bus that has all the blow-up style jumping things on it), they visited a lake park and swam, they played out door games, made crafts and had great times. Our other children never had the desire to attend the summer camp. The boys went to the winter camp a couple of years and Mikaela attended winter camp this year. It has been well worth waking her up early every morning (it starts and stops the same time that school would be starting and stopping). Braden's friends were her day counselors. She wishes that Juab School District, where Grandma and Grandpa live, would do something like that, so she won't get so bored while she is there. The towel picture is of the towels that Mikaela used in one week's time (minus two white ones that were still in the dryer). I don't miss the summer laundry in the winter time!

Braden received his AP scores for AP English. He passed his AP test with great results and won't have to take Freshman English. We are very proud of him. He has to read and write response papers over the summer for AP English and for AP Spanish, he has to write response essays in Spanish every two weeks. It keeps him busy with learning.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Yeah Braden!! I love to hear about wonderful AP English tests! It's wonderful not to take English in college.

I don't miss that humidity, that's for sure. :)