Tuesday, March 4, 2008

For Family Home Evening, we were practicing soccer and tennis. Howard, the elitist soccer player, was coaching Mikaela. I was telling the children how fun it is to watch Howard balance the ball in his shin and foreleg, how he can kick the ball backwards and over the top of his head to have it land in front, ready to play and that he was like a magician with the soccer ball. I have always been amazed by the way that soccer players can manipulate gravity and have it work for their benefit. When I explained to the children that Howard could "head the ball," they wanted a demonstration. Howard complied. Then they all had to try it. Mikaela wasn't sure how to get the hang of it. It kept hitting her on top of the head, instead of the forehead. Howard tried one more time, but instead of Mikaela hitting it with her forehead, she took it full in the face. Ouch! Her eyes were watering, then crying. She was stunned! She couldn't believe that her father had done that to her. After applying ice to the area, and letting her sit down for a few minutes, she was back in the game. Good !

Braden couldn't be bothered too much with soccer. He had his tennis racket and a few tennis balls. He was practicing his backhand. I don't really think he was practicing tennis, as much as he was trying to take out his mom. The balls that went astray, seemed to be hurtling right at my head.

I demonstrated to the children that I had always wanted to be a goalie, well, since 1983, when I first saw Howard play for BYU. Anyway, I grabbed the ball, took a big leap, then proceeded, to do a total front flip, landing on my buttocks instead of my feet. Howard wasn't sure whether he should laugh or rush to my aide. When I stood up and started laughing, everyone else did as well. It was great. Too bad it wasn't videotaped--I think I would have made "America's Funniest Home Videos."

2 comments:

GrammyMyrna said...

I NEVER wanted to be a goalie but I am glad you did. I figure that folks who can't catch or throw a ball have no business trying to stop a ball. I am certainly happy that my kids and grandkids like sports and are good at them. It sort of makes me smile to think what Aunt Renee and Grandma Smith are saying to each other. Something like, "Ah, ha, she did have a recessive gene and it is a good thing she married someone with a dominate gene." Love, M

GrammyMyrna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.