Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ever have those times when you try to count the blessings and then you realize that your blessings are really your trials, wrapped up in 21, 17, 15, and 10 year old bodies (or the age appropriate to your situation)? Lately, we have had some tough days as a family. End of school year, anticipation of Senior year, Middle School year and somewhere in between, has our family fighting the anxiety that accompanies change, as well as each other.

Yesterday in my reading I came to this great quote from George Q. Cannon:

"My theory is that when a man is conscious, or a people are conscious, that he or they are in the path of duty, doing that which is right in the sight of God, they should always be happy, no matter what the circumstances may be which surround them. I think that God has created us to be happy, and my belief is that he has placed happiness within the reach of all, and it is man's own fault if he is not happy and does not enjoy himself every day of his life. This is one of my reasons for liking my religion...because it bestows full happiness and joy upon its believers. They can be happy in the midst of the most adverse circumstances; they can rejoice when surrounded with enemies, and when their lives are imperilled."

It reminded me of our Stake Presidency and Stake Patriarch, who admonished us at Stake Conference to find happiness in our lives, no matter what our circumstances. It reminded me of when I was a young wife and mother. I felt like I had been given major trials: a Graduate Studies husband, a two year old, two jobs, a major church calling, and limited funds. What a life. I remember my mom telling me to enjoy it, because some time in my life I would look back at that time and wish to return to it, because it would actually be a rewarding part of my life. My thoughts at that time? "She has really been out in the sun too long!" My thoughts now? "She was so right--dang it!"

No comments: