Monday, June 9, 2008

Twenty-one miles doesn't seem like a lot when you are in a car, driving with the air conditioner on. Twenty-one miles on a hot, humid morning while riding a bike--totally different feel. Howard has made me his bike partner. We went on a short ride to prepare for his long ride at the end of the month. After having to stop to take out my contact lenses several times, to wash the sweat deposits off of them, I was done. Next time, ugly glasses will be worn for the whole ride, instead of sunglasses. Running is a great sport, but so totally different from biking. When I was told that we were going to bike for about twenty to thirty miles, I thought, "No big deal. I can do that." Hmmm...half way through the ride, my thighs were struggling to keep up with Howard. I was starting to get really tired. On the way back home, I didn't even bike down hill to keep up with Speedracer Howard, I coasted the whole time there was even a slight dip in the trail. I don't know how people do 75 miles a day.

I have often admired Lance Armstrong and the great bike racers. I am sure it takes a lot of mental endurance as well as physical training for that kind of sport. I remembered the times I would ride all around out small town and up our canyon on our bikes. There were some tough hills, but I was also a lot younger and smarter then.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

It has always baffled me that New England of all places isn't big on A/C. I believe almost every home in UT has it and so far it hasn't really gotten that hot. I've heard of the wet sheet in the window trick that the pioneers used here but that hardly seems helpful in a humid area. How did they endure that terrible humidity?