
Wild and crazy days are approaching. Ben reminded me that he doesn't have much more time in our home. This next school year I will have one 22 year old working girl, one seventeen year old High School Senior, one fifteen year old High School Sophomore, and one ten year old Middle Schooler (5th grade). Wow. When we lived in St. Peters, Missouri, I was SURE that this time period would never come. Now it is here--Whew!--where did the time go?
Ben wants a school class ring. We have bought them for the other two children who have attended High School. He came home yesterday and said that his friend's parents were going to buy the friend an Omega watch instead. I couldn't believe it! That is a lot of money. I stated that I thought the parents were a little insane buying such an expensive watch for their fifteen year old. Then Ben said, "I think I want the one that Jack Bauer wears in '24.' " I told him that I didn't think that a $200 class ring was the equivalent of a $2200.00 watch. He told me that he would make up the difference. I then asked him who was going to wear the watch while he went on his mission. "Why? Why wouldn't I take it?" "Think Ben, if you go to someplace like, say a foreign country where the people are poor, they might literally cut off your arm to get the watch." "Oh. Hadn't thought about that." Then we had a discussion about earning money for the right reasons: college, mission, life in general. Reminded me of when my dad used to ask me if I thought he was made out of money. When we went to select the ring, he took a very long time choosing the ring. He has always been very cautious about his selections with his money. Sometimes he suffers buyer's remorse and returns the item, just so he has cash in his wallet. I wish he were that cautious about spending his Dad's money. I love him, for all his craziness.
No comments:
Post a Comment