Friday, September 12, 2008

My friend, Amy, challenged me this week to take my running to a new level. I haven't run in a 5k race for about a year, due to some scary health issues last year. This year, my first 5k will be pushing an adult sized wheelchair-stroller, much like a baby-jogger stroller, in a Buddy-Run 5k. I took Mikaela in it on our rolling hilly street and felt like I was the weakest runner in the world. I don't know how people push 100 pounds or heavier. It was a test of endurance: my gluts, my quadriceps, and my gastrocnemius muscles are tired. I have a month to train. Mikaela is looking forward to letting me push her on my training runs. I remember when I first started running it wasn't physical endurance I needed, it was patience. I would push Mikaela in her stroller, she only weighed about 25 pounds then, and she would ask me every five minutes, "Are we done yet?" "Can I get out and run with you?" "Can't we just stop and pet that dog?" "Can we get something to eat?" "Can you get me more juice?" "Can I have my crackers?" "Can you pick up that...(insert favorite toy of the day) that I just dropped?" "Can you please stop running?" "Can...." I hope she will be more patient. My inspiration for this run is Dick and Rick Hoyt. How has Dick done this for so many years?
(Click on the rectangle for youtube video.)



3 comments:

JK Waite said...

wow, mel! what a great story! very humbling! I think you'll do great in the 5K! Wish I could be there to run with you! love you lots!

Garrison Propaganda said...

youre one tough lady. the only time i ran anything was at ricks/byui. the route went past our apartment, so one of my roommates and i took a little sidetrip for a drink. not that committing to running. but, youll be pushing someone--thats amazing! way to go, and best of luck with your training!

Julie said...

Good for you!!!! I am impressed! I don't remember you running in Omaha. Wait, we were always pregnant in Omaha!!